Recent events have left Arab and Muslim students wondering if the prestigious New York university is safe for them.
Group running ads featuring Mahmoud Darwish’s poems has faced censorship in the past.
On the morning of March 3, 2016, it was discovered that the Israeli occupiers have been digging in the cave, approximately 16m below the floor, of Al Ibrahimi mosque. The Israelis have dug into a holy cave containing the graves of messengers without a valid reason and in secret. Their deceptive endeavor is a serious assault on the holy site and a danger to its contents.
It is clear that this tampering is being done in a direct attempt to Judaize the holy site. Their exact plans and the extent of their activities are unknown. It is also unknown from which point they entered the site.
The seriousness of this situation cannot be stressed enough. HRC views these activities as an attack on the historical site and knows that such digging and presence in the caves can cause irreparable harm to the site.
Hebron Rehabilitation Committee condemns these actions and is calling on all international and regional organizations, global leaders, solidarity groups and officials of local and foreign governments to work in an effort to prevent further digging and tampering with Al Ibrahimi Mosque. There is a need for local and international actors to speak out against these activities. Not only just words, but action is needed also. Coordinated efforts from global leaders are vital to preventing further escalation of this issue.
The Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday has ordered his government legal adviser to study the possibility of deporting the families of Palestinian attackers to the Gaza Strip.
On Wednesday, Netanyahu’s office published a copy of the letter addressed to the attorney general, which read: “using this legal method will decrease the terrorist attacks against the state of Israel and its people”.
This move comes a week after the Israeli Transportation minister, Yisrael Katz, has called on Israeli authorities to displace the families of “Palestinian attackers” to Gaza or Syria, saying that it will “deterr the Palestinian minors from carrying any attempts to attack Israelis, since demolitions were not enough to stop them.”
Netanyahu then expressed his full support to the statement, however said that the Judiciary system would not allow it, because it is considered as collective punishment, which is illegal in the international law.
Since the start of October, more than 185 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire, at least 37 of them children and some extrajudicially executed under alleged attempts of attacks, while Israeli Authorities have been demolishing their family homes inhesitantly.
On the Israeli side, 27 settlers and soldiers were killed either in such attacks or by friendly fire.
Israeli right-winger Yehuda Glick, known as the head of the Temple Mount Faithful group, was escorted – together with other settlers – under Israeli armed protection into the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound, in Jerusalem, days after an Israeli court lifted an order barring him entry to the Islamic holy site.
A statement by Al-Aqsa Foundation for Endowment and Heritage said that the rabbi and the settlers stormed the compound entering through Al-Magharbeh gate, provocatively toured the yard and performed their Talmudic rituals.
“When an extremist like Glick storms Al-Aqsa Mosque, this stirs up troubles and provokes Muslims. We hold the Israeli police responsible for that,” the director of the compound, Sheikh Omaal-Kiswani said.
In a a short post on his Facebook page, Glick said:
“One year, four months and a few days ago, after an assassination attempt against me, while I was still in a life-threatening, critical condition, [my wife] Yafi said in an interview (which became the [Yedioth] magazine’s front page) ‘Yehuda and I Shall Ascend the Temple Mount Again.’ Today, with a heart filled with gratitude, we fulfilled it.”
Last week, a Jerusalem court acquitted Glick of assault charges and removed the ban against his going to the Temple Mount, where he works as “tour guide”.
The prosecution indicted him for pushing a Muslim woman on the ground at the Al-Aqsa compound, breaking her hand.
The case fell apart when the prosecution suspected that the 67-year-old Palestinian Ziva Badarna’s testimony was fake.
According to Haaretz, Glick was barred from entering the Al-Aqsa compound after a Jerusalem District Court Judge said that his presence there was “inflammatory,” particularly since he was accused of assaulting a woman during one of his visits there.
The judge commented that “there is a risk of violence breaking out if the defendent returns to the compound before the end of legal proceedings in his case.”
Despite the court ban, Glick was escorted inside the compound by Israeli guards a handful of times last year.
In 2014 he survived an attempt on his life by a gunman in a drive-by shooting in Jerusalem.
He was seriously wounded in the incident. A Palestinian man suspected of being behind the shooting was killed in shootout with with Israeli police a day later.
Glick leads Israel’s extremist “Temple Mount” movement, which calls for building a Jewish temple where the iconic Al-Aqsa Mosque now stands.
The Dome of the Rock — located in the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound — is the third holiest site in Islam.
At the same time, it is venerated as Judaism’s most holy place, as it sits where Jews believe the First and Second Temples once stood.
Ze’eve Elkin, Israeli Immigrant and Absorption Minister and also a member of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s nine-person security cabinet, said on a speech at Bar-Ilan University on Monday morning that the current “wave of terror” is just a “promo” for what will happen after the Palestinian Authority (PA) collapses.
Elkin said he decided to go public with his warnings after trying to bring the subject up at cabinet meetings to no avail. “I’m not sure that the government has passed the diagnostic stage and realized the dramatic change we are facing.”
“This is a reality we may wake up to tomorrow morning, within months or perhaps after a year or two of collapse,” Elkin told the right-wing Makor Rishon newspaper for its weekend edition.
He further noted, “The international community must also stop trying to strengthen the Palestinian Authority, because it is just an attempt at resuscitation that will blow up in our faces. It’s true that there are a number of scenarios, but the most likely scenario to me is that anarchy will result from the lack of a clear successor to Abu Mazen, due to his unwillingness to hold elections for the presidency and the surplus of legal and illegal weapons in the PA’s territory. There is no point in trying to revive the PA, and instead we should make a fitting headstone for its grave, along with that of the Oslo Accords. The Palestinian Authority was born with Abu Mazen, who initiated and pushed for Oslo, and the PA will disappear with Abu Mazen when he goes.”
Elkin explained his attitude towards the Oslo process: “The mistaken concept in Oslo lead us to today’s reality. We made a mistake when we brought the PLO leaders out of Tunis, we made a mistake when we though that they would deal with terror and incitement, and we made a mistake when we allowed them to run their education system, media and sermons without supervision. All of these led to the building of a generation filled with a burning hate for us and cause a 13-year-old girl to leave her school and stab Jews to death.
“In order to fight against the ongoing wave of terror,” he concluded, “We must treat it with antibiotics and not with aspirin. We need to understand that today’s terror was born from 23 years of neglect, ever since the Oslo Accords. Therefore, we must reach down to the roots, which are incitement in schools, in the media and especially in sermons. In addition, we must prepare for our security and to understand the new field. The source of authority is not excessive hierarchies and institutions, it’s identifying the new players below the surface in a timely manner. If we know how to identify them quietly, we can deal with the situation. There’s no doubt that this is a ticking bomb that can still be dismantled, if only we can wake up in time.”
The Palestinian Authority (PA or PNA) was created by the Gaza–Jericho Agreement, pursuant to the 1993 Oslo Accords. It was signed on 4 May 1994 and included an Israeli withdrawal from the Jericho area and partially from the Gaza Strip, and detailed the creation of the Palestinian Authority and the Palestinian Civil Police Force.
The PA was envisioned as an interim organization to administer a limited form of Palestinian self-governance in the Areas A and B in the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip for a period of five years, during which final-status negotiations would take place.
The administrative responsibilities accorded to the PA were limited to civil matters and internal security and did not include external security or foreign affairs.
Regarding the recent months tensions, a December poll by the Palestinian Center for Policy and Survey Research found that 65 percent of Palestinians wanted Mr. Abbas to resign. A similar portion favored another armed intifada, having lost faith in a negotiated peace and the Oslo accords on which Mr. Abbas has staked his career.
“He can neither support it nor oppose it [the Al-Quds Intifada],” said a former negotiator on the condition of anonymity on an interview to the New York Times on February 27, “so he shuts up and does nothing, which further enhances the perception that drives all this, that he and Fatah have produced nothing and will produce nothing, and that they are useless.”
“Abu Mazen has achieved nothing,” Sheikh Taha Qattanani, 43, said in a recent interview. “We Palestinians deserve a stronger leadership, regardless of whether it’s Fatah or Hamas.”
Israeli soldiers shot and killed on Friday a Palestinian-American teen at an Israeli military checkpoint in the illegal Beit El settlement area after he reportedly attempt to stab an Israeli soldier.
The IOF alleged that the Palestinian boy “was carrying a knife, and attempted to stab soldiers, but they shot him dead before he was able to reach them.” No Israelis were injured during the alleged stab attempt.
The death was confirmed by the Palestinian Ministry of Health who identified the teen as Mahmoud Mohammad Ali Shaalan, 17, from Deir Dibwan town, east of Ramallah.
On Friday evening, the Palestinian Ministry of Civil Affairs said that Mahmoud’s body was returned to his family and taken to Palestine Medical Complex.
The current tension situation is ongoing since October first 2015, due to repetitive Israeli settler attacks on Al-Aqsa mosque, the third holiest place in Islam, and Israeli restrictions over Palestinian entrance, in addition to the Duma arson attack which killed a baby and his parents on July, 31.
Moreover, the IOF has been criticized internationally in recent months for its ‘preemptive shootings’ of Palestinians alleged to be holding knives.
In addition several of the incidents in which the IOF has claimed that they were ‘attacked’ have proven to be false.
Since then, over 180 Palestinians have been killed. More than 15,000 Palestinians have been injured by IOF live ammunition, rubber-coated metal bullets and teargas.
Some 29 settlers were killed on the Israeli side in Palestinian operatives.
An 60-year-old Palestinian woman was killed, and her daughter moderately injured after they were run-over by an Israeli settler in Al-Fasayil village, southern Jordan valleys.
According to medical sources, Zeinab Rashayda (60) has died after the run-over, while her daughter, Fatima Yassin (30) sustained moderate injuries and a shock.
They were both moved to the Jericho governmental hospital, however, the mother passed away before arriving to the hospital.
According to Al-Mashreq news, Israeli police claimed that the settler has called and handed himself in after the run-over.
Palestinians in the Jordan valley have reported several harrassments by IOF and settlers, and are now subjected to displacement for settlement expansion.
Two weeks ago, IOF demolished five residential tents and barracks, in addition to animal barns in the Killat Khader area, northern Jordan Valleys, following Israeli confiscation of 1,540 Dunams (380 acres), of land near Jericho in the Valleys, announcing it as state lands.
This seizure is the largest appropriation in the West Bank since August 2014.
Just 31 percent of US Jewish students view Israel as a democracy.
Israeli film-director Udi Aloni, 56, who won the top audience at Berlin Film Festival on Saturday, has labelled the Israeli government “fascist” and urged Germany to cease its military support to Israel.
At a Q&A session about his award-winning film Junction 48 hours before being presented with the Panorama Audience Award for best fiction film, Mr Aloni said Germany should stop supporting the “fascist regime of Israel”:
“Merkel does not mention the occupation and sells submarines to Netanyahu to continue such things.”
The 56-year-old also called Israel a “democracy of white people” and added that “in contrast to the [Israeli] prime minister who spreads hatred, my movie spreads love and co-existence.”
By the end of the session, he mentioned the Palestinian hunger-striker Mohammed al-Qiq as an example “non-Jews’ lack of rights in Israel”, saying that Qiq was dying in administrative detention without being accused of committing a crime.
In a response to Aloni’s comments, according to the Israeli Media, the Israeli Culture Minister Miri Regev said that Israel should not fund films that slander it, refering to the financial support that Aloni’s film received from Israel’s Culture Ministry.
“Aloni’s statements were a clear proof that artists who subvert the state, defame it and hurt its legitimacy should not be funded by the tax payer. A sane country should not assist slanderers and denouncers who malign it, immediately after drinking from its coffers,” Regev stated.
The Israeli film director later clarified to Channel 10 that his comments “were directed against the Israeli government and not against the country, which I love. In contrast to the prime minister who spreads hatred, my movie spreads love and co-existence.”
Last year, more than 3,000 artists, including some of the country’s most prominent actors and directors, signed a petition against Ms Regev’s policies.
“Junction 48” – whose is a Arabic-language film that features mostly Palestinian actors – tells the story of a Palestinian rap star and his girlfriend who live near Tel Aviv in the mixed Jewish-Palestinian city of Lod, known until recently as one of the main drug-running centers of the Middle East.
Actress Samar Qupty said it should be easy for Palestinians to identify with the movie, even though it depicts people living lives that are radically different from strict Muslim traditions.
Her character, for example, allows a picture of her face to be used on a poster advertising a hip-hop concert, prompting members of her family to say they plan to injure her if she performs.
“It’s still a revolutionary movie because it doesn’t talk about the way we Palestinians are usually represented in the world,” Qupty said.
“We are representing ourselves by the new generation without trying to prove anything to anyone, with our ‘goods’ and ‘bads’,” she told Reuters in an interview. “We are trying to present what is the real new generation trying to do without making the reality looking any better or any worse.”