1) Thou shall believe that “they” are the “Chosen” 2) If you see their numbers extremely over-represented in high positions of power and control thou shall not mention, except if it was to praise their “superior” IQ 3) If you become aware that they are “running the show” in the media thou shall only […]
Virgin Islands’ author, educator, feminist and activist Gloria I. Joseph, Ph.D., will bring the celebration of National Poetry Month to an impressive close with the St. Croix launch of her remarkable bio/anthology that reflects the tenacious life of Caribbean-American, black feminist and poet laureate Audre Lorde, the St. Croix Source reports. The St. Croix book […]
Award winning Jamaican actress and singer Dianne Dixon has joined a stellar line-up of actors from across the Caribbean for the Braata Productions Caribbean Playreading Series to be held at the Jamaica Performing Arts Center (JPAC) in Queens, New York, from April 22 – 24–Jamaica’s Star reports. The Caribbean Playreading series is designed to create, […]
I have spent my life settling. Told to not make waves, not speak up. Be a good girl. good girls go along, make do, compromise and do for others. And if you are a good enough girl one day some day someone will care for you, will love you, will listen to you. You have […]
A less literal selfie. Selfies are a huge part of photography today: but there’s no business model here. And the underlying reason is inextricably linked to why we find photography appealing in the first place. The game is changing, yet again – faster than ever. In today’s post I’d like to address the current state […]
San Quintin people deserve better than this!
Baja California, Mexico: At Least 70 Injured After Clash Between Farmworkers and Police in San Quintín
Aristegui Noticias (With information from La Jornada)
About 70 people were injured, seven of them seriously, after the police entered the neighbourhood New San Juan Copala in the borough of Vicente Guerrero, in the municipality of Ensenada, Baja California, reported La Jornada. The neighbourhood of Nuevo San Juan Copala is located some 180 kilometres from the city of Ensenada.
Justino Herrera, leader of the Triqui indigenous community in San Quintín, told La Jornada Baja California that there are no deaths, but several day labourers were seriously injured.
The version given by the labourers is that it all started this morning when, at the gates of Rancho Seco, one of the largest producers of tomatoes in the region, a group of labourers from their Alliance appeared to ask their colleagues not to…
View original post 386 more words
A Hosni Mubarak supporter performs a traditional Sufi folk dance during his birthday- via Al-Monitor
- Egypt’s defense council approves of extension of military missions outside borders
- Egypt’s deposed president Mubarak turns 87
- Two foreign companies will help Egypt face energy crisis
- Little evidence that American actress shot porn at the Giza pyramids
- Internet use is booming in Egypt
- 5 sentenced to death in Kerdasa case in Kerdasa case
- EU commissioner meets Egypt’s El-Sisi over migration crisis
- The authorities have arrested 40 people from Sharqiya on charges of allegedly belonging to the Islamic State
- Egypt economic policies starting to pay off, IMF says
- Gate of ancient Egyptian fortress unearthed in Sinai
- Egypt to host Libyan tribes meeting
View original post 611 more words
For a long time no-one could understand how Aruba’s boa constrictors spread across the island so quickly. Then they realized – the snakes could easily travel miles by hiding under car bonnets and hitching a lift.
This might be the Caribbean of tourist dreams, but from where I’m standing, there’s not a rum punch or sun lounger in sight. Cacti, dense, sable brown scrub, immense boulders and the odd skittish goat surround me, in this arid landscape that looks like something more akin to Australia’s Northern Territory.
The fact that snakes – boa constrictors to be precise – are, according to my guide Robert, absolutely everywhere here in the Arikok National Park in Aruba, only compounds the sense that this is no relaxing beach break in paradise. In fact I’m on a wild island, with an invasive species far more deadly than the slew of cruise ship passengers meandering around…
View original post 249 more words