More than 29,000 people have died on migration routes to Europe since 2014, according to a new report.
The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) said at least 5,684 migrants had died trying to reach Europe since the start of last year alone.
According to its report, the deadliest migration route remains the Central Mediterranean from Libya and Tunisia towards Malta or Italy, with migrants crossing the seas in dangerous, rickety rafts.
The IOM said on Tuesday that 2,836 migrants and refugees have died along this route since January 2021 — an increase on the previous period.
Meanwhile, more than 1,500 deaths have been recorded on the Atlantic Ocean route from West Africa to Spain’s Canary Islands since 2021.
Source: Over 29,000 migrants died on route to Europe since 2014 – UN agency | Euronews