- Germany’s new motto is “vaccinate, vaccinate, vaccinate,” she said.
- The goal is to vaccinate “faster and more flexibly” starting in April.
- “We want the proverbial and tried-and-true German thoroughness to be expanded with more German flexibility, too.”
- The chancellor said she would be willing to take the AstraZeneca vaccine, but “would like to wait until it’s my turn.”
- Merkel said Germany could use Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine pending EMA approval, adding Berlin would order the jab if the EU does not.
- “I think we have a good chance of offering a vaccine to every resident by the end of the summer,” she said.
- Looking at rising infection numbers, Merkel said Germany must not hesitate to return to a hard lockdown if necessary.
- “I had hoped that we would manage without using this emergency brake, but that won’t be possible, if I look at the development of the past days,” she added.
Source: Germany: Merkel, state leaders agree on strategy to jump-start vaccinations | News | DW | 19.03.2021
Second Look Behind the Headlines – News you can use…