Houston police officer under investigation after participating in U.S. Capitol riot

Pretty easy – use trace of his cell phone to shaw whether he was inside the capitol or if on grounds after unlawful assembly was declared
Houston police officers and SWAT team members on the scene in a west Houston neighborhood where a gunman with an assault rifle shot one man and injured 6 before being killed by a SWAT officer on May 29, 2016.

A Houston police officer is under investigation for his role in the riot at the U.S. Capitol last week, Chief Art Acevedo announced Wednesday.

Credit: Michael Stravato for The Texas Tribune

An 18-year veteran of the Houston Police Department is under federal investigation for his participation in the riot at the U.S. Capitol last week, Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said at a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

On Sunday, a community member sent Acevedo a picture of the patrol officer carrying a Trump flag outside the Capitol during the Jan. 6 rally, Acevedo said. The officer had also posted a photo of himself at the Capitol on Facebook. Acevedo then contacted the FBI to launch a joint investigation into the officer’s role in the riot.

“There is no excuse for criminal activity, especially from a police officer,” Acevedo said. “I can’t tell you the anger I feel at the thought of a police officer, and other police officers, thinking they get to go storm the Capitol.”

Acevedo did not share the officer’s name. He had no disciplinary history, the chief said.

After determining that the officer had entered the Capitol during the riot, Acevedo placed him on paid administrative leave and scheduled a disciplinary hearing for this Friday following a required two-day waiting period. He will likely face federal charges, Acevedo said.

Doug Griffith, president of the Houston Police Officers’ Union, said he has not spoken to the officer. Since the officer wasn’t acting in a law enforcement capacity at the time, he said the union will not be involved.

“When you enter the Capitol knowing it’s a crime, well, then you have to deal with the punishment coming along with that,” Griffith said.

The officer’s options now are to resign, meet with Acevedo at the hearing Friday and explain his actions, or not go to the hearing and let the chief fire him, Griffith said.

State Sen. Carol Alvarado, a Houston Democrat, praised Acevedo for his leadership through a challenging time.

“Whether it’s this person or anyone else, everybody that was involved in [the Capitol riot] should face federal charges,” Alvarado said. Acevedo “is a leader in our city, well-regarded in the law enforcement community, and I think it’s the responsible thing for him to do.”

This news comes on the heels of another federal investigation into Bexar County Sheriff’s Office Lieutenant Roxanne Mathai for her own participation in last week’s events in D.C. Mathai posted a series of images on Facebook showing her draped in a Trump flag inside the Capitol, KSAT reported on Thursday.

“Not gonna lie…..aside from my kids, this was, indeed, the best day of my life. And it’s not over yet,” Mathai wrote on Facebook.

Last week, Bexar County Sheriff Javier Salazar said during a press conference that he forwarded the posts and images to D.C. law enforcement officials and the FBI.

“Whether it happens here within the confines of these four walls or whether it happens in another state or another country, you break the law, I promise I’m going to hold you accountable here,” Salazar said.

Earlier Wednesday, political news site The Appeal published a tracker tallying the total number of law enforcement officers from around the country who participated in the Capitol riot. So far, the site has counted 26 who were spotted at the violent rally.

Additional reporting by Jolie McCullough.

14215302.gif

Olympic swimming champion Klete Keller charged over US Capitol invasion

A headline like this one and wearing his team jacket show that he was there to get recognition for himself more than to show his self-delusions about government.

1849.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8

  • Two-time gold medallist charged on three counts over unrest
  • 38-year-old was teammate of Michael Phelps on US relay teams

Olympic swimming champion Klete Keller has been charged over the invasion of the US Capitol by a pro-Donald Trump mob last week.

The 38-year-old won two relay gold medals as a teammate of Michael Phelps at the 2004 and 2008 Olympics. Charges of knowingly entering or remaining in a restricted building, disorderly conduct in the Capitol building and impeding law enforcement were filed against Keller in a Washington DC court on Wednesday.

Continue reading…

Coronavirus tracker: California reported 49,252 new cases, 609 new deaths as of Jan. 12

California reported 49,252 new cases of coronavirus, bringing the total number of people who have been infected to 2,793,257, according to California public heath websites’ end-of-day totals as of Jan. 12.

There were also 609 new deaths reported in California, bringing the total number of people who have died in the state to 31,055.

There were 115 fewer patients admitted into California hospitals, making for 22,550 hospitalizations statewide.

RELATED: What public health leaders mean by ‘0% ICU beds available

OCR-L-STATE-TRACKER-0114-map.jpg?fit=620

OCR-L-STATE-TRACKER-0114-tab.jpg?fit=620

Sources: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Johns Hopkins University, the World Health Organization, the California Department of Public Health, The Associated Press, reporting counties and news sources

Related Articles

U.S. Bans All Cotton and Tomatoes From Xinjiang Region of China

The ban will increase not lessen the burden of farmers and workers, it will increase their burden but GOP will feel sanctimonious and will make believe that the policy is a good one.

The sweeping ban, which was based on concerns about forced labor in the region, could compel companies to reorganize their multinational supply chains.

Outcry over COVID-19 food parcels for UK children prompts U-turn | Europe| News and current affairs from around the continent | DW | 13.01.2021 (Ten days of food – not!)

UK food parcel “We were gobsmacked,” Mizz, who didn’t want to give her full name, told DW. “I grew up poor, and I know poor. I can make a meal out of thin air — but not with this,” the 41-year-old said. Mizz said her parcel was meant to provide lunch for her 12-year-old for 10 days: one loaf of bread, half a cucumber, one pepper, a few potatoes, a block of cheese, a pack of butter, four pieces of fruit, a chocolate bar and some salty snacks. Source: Outcry over COVID-19 food parcels for UK children prompts U-turn | Europe| News and current affairs from around the continent | DW | 13.01.2021