Call to block key Bolsonaro ally from World Bank job

5410.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8

Abraham Weintraub is under investigation for alleged racism and spreading fake news, reports say

The World Bank is facing growing pressure to block Brazilian attempts to hand one of Jair Bolsonaro’s most notorious allies a plum £210,000-a-year job at its headquarters in Washington.

Abraham Weintraub, who until last week was the Brazilian president’s hard-right education minister, flew to the US, possibly using a diplomatic passport to skirt a Covid-19 ban on travellers from Brazil.

Continue reading…

Virus-free Vietnam not ready to welcome international tourists

facebook_default_pic.jpg

HANOI • Despite successfully containing its Covid-19 outbreak, Vietnam has no plans to open up to international tourists yet, fearing that doing so could lead to a second wave of infections, the Prime Minister has said.

Thanks to an aggressive, targeted testing programme and a centralised quarantine system, the South-east Asian country has contained its infection numbers to a relatively low 352 cases, most of whom have recovered. There have been no reported deaths.

“There is no story of rushing to open the doors,” Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc said in a statement posted to the government website on Wednesday.

He added: “Vietnam is not yet ready to welcome back international tourists. Foreign experts, high-level workers and investors in Vietnam are welcomed but will be closely monitored.”

Moves allowing Vietnamese people to work abroad will also be watched closely.

Highly-skilled foreign experts such as engineers have been allowed to enter Vietnam on special flights and quarantine at hotels in a bid to keep the economy afloat throughout the global pandemic.

Mr Phuc said the frequency of such flights should be increased.

For more than two months, Vietnam has reported no community transmission of the coronavirus.

Earlier this month, Vietnam said it was planning to resume flights to some virus-free countries that had registered no cases of coronavirus for 30 days or more.

Other South-east Asian countries with slowing rates of infection, such as Malaysia and Thailand, are also considering travel bubble arrangements in the months ahead. Countries included in these arrangements are China, South Korea and Japan.

Thailand, which has gone 31 days without a domestic transmission, will allow entry of some short-term business travellers and medical tourists from next month.

However, Vietnam’s aviation authority has cautioned against the gradual resumption of international flights until the fourth quarter.

NO RUSH

There is no story of rushing to open the doors. Vietnam is not yet ready to welcome back international tourists. Foreign experts, high-level workers and investors in Vietnam are welcomed but will be closely monitored.

VIETNAM’S PRIME MINISTER NGUYEN XUAN PHUC

  • 352

  • Number of infections in Vietnam, most of whom have recovered.

REUTERS, BLOOMBERG

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Brazil registers 39,483 new cases of coronavirus, 1,141 deaths

Brazil recorded 39,483 new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus in the past 24 hours as well as 1,141 deaths, the Health Ministry said on Thursday.

?m=02&d=20200625&t=2&i=1523666784&r=LYNX
FILE PHOTO: Workers of the Rio Pax funeral home remove the body of Maria do Perpetuo Socorro Lavareda, 77, who died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), from a hospital in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil June 23, 2020. REUTERS/Pilar Olivares/File Photo

RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) – Brazil recorded 39,483 new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus in the past 24 hours as well as 1,141 deaths, the Health Ministry said on Thursday.

Brazil has registered more than 1.2 million cases since the pandemic began, while cumulative deaths total 54,971, according to the ministry.

Reporting by Pedro Fonseca and Jake Spring; editing by Grant McCool

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

US sets daily COVID-19 record as Texas halts opening | CIDRAP

The United States reported 36,975 new COVID-19 cases yesterday, its highest daily total since the novel coronavirus pandemic began this winter. The cases piled up in states such as California, Texas, and Florida, with each state reporting between 5,000 and 7,000 new cases. In Texas, Governor Greg Abbott today suspended the further reopening of his state.

Source: US sets daily COVID-19 record as Texas halts opening | CIDRAP

Facebook Will Show Users a Pop-up Warning Before They Share an Outdated Story

facebook_64.png

Facebook announced Thursday that it would introduce a notification screen warning users if they try to share content that’s more than 90 days old. From a report: They’ll be given the choice to “go back” or to click through if they’d still like to share the story knowing that it isn’t fresh. Facebook acknowledged that old stories shared out of their original context play a role in spreading misinformation, a fact that the social media company said “news publishers in particular” have expressed concern about old stories being recirculated as though they’re breaking news. “Over the past several months, our internal research found that the timeliness of an article is an important piece of context that helps people decide what to read, trust and share,” Facebook Vice President of Feed and Stories John Hegeman wrote on the company’s blog.

twitter_icon_large.png
facebook_icon_large.png

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

H.R. 7317: To authorize a public service announcement campaign on the efficacy of cloth face coverings in reducing the spread of COVID-19, to authorize a program to provide cloth face coverings to any American who requests one free of charge, and for oth

media_icon.png?20130118

Introduced: Sponsor: Rep. Adam Schiff [D-CA28]

This bill was referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce which will consider it before sending it to the House floor for consideration.

3 cosponsors are on that committee.

Defense Secretary Faces White House Pressure on Aides and a Military Promotion – The New York Times – meanness knows no bounds

The White House had made clear to officials in the Pentagon’s Office of Personnel and Readiness, which handles such staffing, that Mr. Trump did not want to see Colonel Vindman promoted, the officials said. In fact, when they saw an earlier draft version of the list two weeks ago, National Security Council staff members even told their Defense Department counterparts they had evidence of misconduct by Colonel Vindman.