Why do some folks think that the 2019 novel coronavirus is a man, made patented virus that is being spread to push a mandatory vaccination program?
Yup, the usual suspects.
Anti-Vax Coronavirus Conspiracy Theories
As you are likely aware, the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) was first identified in the city of Wuhan, China. It has since spread outside Wuhan, including at least one case in the United States.
Why is this a concern?
Some of the other human coronaviruses that have been recently discovered cause severe disease, including MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV.
So what’s the new conspiracy theory?
A patent for a poultry vaccine is not evidence for a conspiracy theory about the 2019 novel coronavirus.
That someone attenuated a coronavirus (weakened it) to use it in a vaccine and that this attenuated coronavirus somehow became the 2019 novel coronavirus that started the outbreak in Wuhan, China.
How do we know that this isn’t true?
“Preliminary analysis showed that the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) clusters with the SARS-related CoV clade and differs from the core genome of known bat CoV.”
Cluster of pneumonia cases caused by a novel coronavirus, Wuhan, China
For one thing, it isn’t the same virus that is described in the patent!
Folks should also know that animal vaccines for coronaviruses aren’t new. Why didn’t any of them revert and cause outbreaks?
“In the early 1950s, the first IB vaccine was developed in the USA using the van Roekel M41 (Mass) strain.”
Cook et al on The long view: 40 years of infectious bronchitis research
What about the idea that we will soon be getting a new Chinese coronavirus vaccine?
Several biotech companies have already said that they will be working on a 2019-nCoV vaccine, but it is important to note that despite years and years of work, we still don’t have vaccines for MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV.
SARS-CoV has been around since 2002…
While development of a quick 2019-nCoV vaccine will be great if this virus gets out of control, that doesn’t seem to be the way things happen…
Know what else isn’t new?
Anti-vaccine conspiracy theories…
More on Anti-Vaccine Conspiracy Theories
- Is the Samoan Measles Outbreak Fabricated?
- The Moral Responsibility of the Anti-Vaccine Movement
- What Are the Greatest Tricks Anti-Vaccine Folks Use to Persuade Parents to Skip Vaccines?
- More Questions to Help You Become a Vaccine Skeptic
- The Fatal Flaw in the Anti-Vaccine Movement
- CDC – 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), Wuhan, China
- ECDC – Cluster of pneumonia cases caused by a novel coronavirus, Wuhan, China
- WHO – Q&A on coronaviruses
- Animal Coronaviruses: Lessons for SARS and MERS Human Coronaviruses
- The long view: 40 years of infectious bronchitis research