In Strike That Killed 5 Children, Israel Said It Took Out Gaza Militant. Now It Isn’t Sure. – The New York Times

As the sky brightened into morning, the Israeli military’s Arabic-language spokesman posted on Twitter the photo of a Palestinian Islamic Jihad commander it said had been killed in the strike, which occurred just hours before a cease-fire ended two intense days of fighting between Israel and the militant group. But Islamic Jihad says the man in the photo was actually a different commander from Rafah, at the southern end of the Gaza Strip, who is still alive — and that the victims of the attack in Deir El-Balah, near the center of the coastal enclave, were all civilians. On Friday, Israel’s military backtracked on its earlier claim and said it had begun an investigation into the harm to civilians in the Gaza strike.