A retired US Navy admiral who oversaw the raid that killed Osama bin Laden tells Donald Trump he will be honoured if the 45th President yanks his security clearance just like he did to former CIA director John Brennan.
The Queen of Soul is gone.
As long as I’ve been alive, Aretha Franklin was here.
I have heard so many folks say that they felt like Aretha Franklin was family.
I understand that. To me, like so many others, she’s Auntie Re. The Aunt that kept it real. The Aunt that could throw down. The Aunt that would tell you the truth – and, Auntie Re told you the truth through her songs.
Aretha Franklin was the soundtrack for Black woman. Didn’t matter what kind of Black woman you were, Aretha Franklin had a song, and an album for you. After all, she’s had a career that spanned 6 decades. She has sung with pretty much everyone who was anyone for the past 60 years in music, in front of the microphone and in the recording studio. She has known everyone in the music business.
Someone on the radio while I was going home said something so true…
As long as Aretha Franklin has been in music, did we ever hear negative stories about her? All we heard was about her graciousness, her professionalism, her realness. I think a lot of that has to do with her being from Detroit and never growing away from Detroit. Through good times, and bad, Aretha Franklin was Rev. Franklin’s daughter from Detroit.
There are so many moments that you can recall from her life. Being raised in the church, and who her father was, she was right in the middle of all the action of the Civil Rights Movement. She was an activist, and a Citizen of the World before that was a ‘thing’.
Your mother, grandmother, Aunties got you listening to Aretha Franklin. You listen to her music…but, it took getting older to understand what Aretha Franklin was telling you. As you got older, you understood the meaning of the lyrics. As you got older, your soul connected with her voice. I can remember when she first touched my soul…the song that made you play it over and over because you thought that Aretha Franklin was singing just to you.
I have loved to see the tributes to her. The stories. The pictures of her over the years. Aretha Franklin defined Black Beauty….the history of Black women and beauty can be seen through Aretha Franklin.
One hundred years…two hundred years from now…they will study Aretha Franklin…they will be listening to her music.
There is a reason why Rolling Stone named her the #1 Singer – period.
I’m not a writer. Just a fan. A fan who weeps. A fan who is so happy to have lived during her time.
Please share your favorite videos. Stories. Memories. Ways she touched you. How she spoke to you.
About 1,000 of the internet company’s employees have signed a letter demanding transparency, saying censored search results raise “urgent moral and ethical issues.”
Nine-year-old, but not his mother, left off list of citizens published in Assam crackdown
A child who appeared in a photograph that went viral last year saluting the Indian flag in chest-deep flood water has been declared a foreigner and could be deported as part of a government drive to root out illegal immigrants.
Haider Ali Khan appeared in a photograph with his teacher and two others on 15 August last year, India’s 70th independence anniversary, showing the group saluting the Indian tricolour.
The more I watch Our Dear Leader perform for the media I ask myself just how far will this infantile person go in his bullying of critics….well I did not have to wait too long to find our….now did I?
President Donald Trump is following through on his threat to revoke the security clearance of former Obama administration CIA director John Brennan, a vocal critic of the president, the White House said Wednesday. “Mr. Brennan has recently leveraged his status as a former high-ranking official with access to highly sensitive information to make a series of unfounded and outrageous allegations, wild outbursts on the internet and television about this administration,” press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said, per the AP. Brennan has been deeply critical of Trump’s conduct, calling his performance at a joint press conference with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Finland “nothing short of treasonous.” Sanders said the security clearances of other current and formers officials are also “under review.”
They include former FBI Director James Comey; James Clapper, the former director of national intelligence; former CIA Director Michael Hayden; former national security adviser Susan Rice; and Andrew McCabe, who served as Trump’s deputy FBI director until he was fired in March. Also on the list: fired FBI agent Peter Strzok, FBI lawyer Lisa Page, and senior Justice Department official Bruce Ohr. At least two of the former officials, Comey and McCabe, do not currently have security clearances. Former CIA directors and other top national security officials are typically allowed to keep their clearances, at least for some period, so they can be in a position to advise their successors and to hold certain jobs. Experts have said that stripping a security clearance in response to public criticism would be an unprecedented politicization of the clearance process, and Democrats were quick to decry Trump’s move.
This mental 5 year old would risk national security to punish anyone that criticizes him….again juvenile……it is bad enough the he insults and bullies people on Twitter all because he wears his feelings on his sleeve like the spoiled brat he is.
Just another attempt by Dear Leader to silence his political enemies and that my friends is called “censorship”……got it now?
What’s next? Banning newspapers with op-eds that hurt his feelings?
The Boston Globe decided it was time for an organized response to President Trump’s attacks on the media as an “enemy of the people”—and hundreds of newspapers responded. At least 343 publications agreed to publish editorials Thursday against what the Globe calls Trump’s “dirty war against the free press,” reports the Guardian. They include some of America’s biggest newspapers as well as smaller publications nationwide, though the Wall Street Journal is among the holdouts, reports the BBC. A selection:
- The onslaught from the president is “scary. We’re afraid, for our personal safety and for the future of our country,” write the editorial boards of the San Jose Mercury News and the East Bay Times. “These attacks on the press are an attack on our nation’s foundation. And we’re angry. Angry that we work so hard to carry out the mission our Founding Fathers envisioned, to provide the free flow of information so critical to a well-functioning democracy, only to be demonized by our president for doing our jobs.”
- Not covering Trump aggressively would be a “dereliction of duty,” writes the editorial board at the Topeka Capital-Journal, one of the few papers that endorsed Trump in 2016. “We’re not separate from the public. We are the public. We live and work and play in Topeka and surrounding areas. We go to restaurants and send our children to school. We drive the same roads, see the same doctors,” they write, describing Trump’s attacks as sinister. “We’re not the enemy of the people. We are the people.”
- “We support a free and vibrant press, a nation where the powerful are held to account by the Fourth Estate. Journalists are not the enemy of the people; we’re advocating for the people. We stand with our colleagues,” writes the editorial board at the New York Post, adding: “Will this make a difference? Not one whit.”
- “Criticizing the news media—for underplaying or overplaying stories, for getting something wrong—is entirely right. News reporters and editors are human, and make mistakes,” writes the New York Times editorial board. “Correcting them is core to our job. But insisting that truths you don’t like are ‘fake news’ is dangerous to the lifeblood of democracy. And calling journalists the ‘enemy of the people’ is dangerous, period.”
- John Diaz at the San Francisco Chronicle says that while they have published plenty of anti-Trump editorials and spoken out many times against his attacks on the press, they’ve decided not to join the crowd this time. The coordinated campaign “plays into Trump’s narrative that the media are aligned against him. I can just anticipate his Thursday morning tweets accusing the ‘FAKE NEWS MEDIA’ of ‘COLLUSION!’ and ‘BIAS!’” Diaz writes.
So I Have Written!
Turn The Page!