The Palestinian Journalists Syndicate announced the summary of its annual report for freedoms 2017 in special press conference on Wednesday.
The report recorded 909 violations between 1-1-2017 and 31-12-2017, including 740 by Israeli and 169 local violation by Palestinian authorities in West Bank and Gaza.
PJS president, Nasser Abu Baker focused in his opening speech on the dramatic increase in the number and nature of these violations, he also mentioned that the FAJ will gather today in Cairo to discuss the Palestinian situation.
“With this sharp escalation in the Israeli violations against our journalists, it is shameful to see increase in violations by local authorities” Abu baker said.
The PJS president condemned Facebook step in closing 158 Palestinian accounts based on Israeli request.
To his part, president of the independent commission of human rights “ICHR” Ammar Dowik praised the role of journalists, mainly in field, as they face high risk of Israeli violations. He mentioned also the partnership between ICHR and PJS in following up the violations and dealing with its.
Deputy minister of the ministry of media Mahmoud Khalifah said that the Israeli violations against the Palestinian journalists targets their narrative and aims to prevent the truth.
The Head of freedoms committee in PJS Mohammed Allaham introduced the main indicators and numbers in the report. The report said the second half of last year witnessed higher percentage of violations, the highest months were December followed by July.
Allaham said that the nature of violations in 2017 was different. “October witnessed Israeli closure for 8 offices of 3 media production companies by military orders, with raiding and closing 2 radio stations, two journalists were sentenced by 2 years because of their professional activities as journalists, financial panelty targeted 25 journalist and 28 journalists still in Israeli jails”.
The main numbers and indicators in the report are:
– The total violations in 2017 were 909, with 37% increase from 2016 numbers.
– Israeli violations are 740 “81% of the total” and the Palestinian violations are 169 “19% of the total”.
– Israeli violations in 2017 are more than 2016 by 183 violation “33% increase”.
– Palestinian violations in 2017 are more than 2016 by 64 violation “61%” increase.
– The highest violations recorded in Jerusalem by 137 violations “18% of the total”, followed by Hebron and Ramallah.
– Last December witnessed 147 violations, all by occupation forces, “20% of the total”, with increase by 406% from December 2016.
– December Also witnessed organized incitement campaign by Israeli media and social media against Palestinian journalists.
– The journalists have faces new violations by Palestinian authorities in nature, mainly the electronic crimes law, blocking and prohibiting 29 websites since last June, arresting the journalists Foad Jaradah in Gaza for 2 months, and arresting 7 journalists in WB with sentencing some of them.