Public health officials told the OC Register that the children got campylobacteriosis infection from Claravale Farm’s raw goat milk. Even one of the kids had to be hospitalized. The symptoms aren’t pleasant: they include diarrhea, cramping, abdominal pain, vomiting and fever. And people usually get the symptoms within two to five days of getting in contact with the organism. The illness is often associated with unpasteurized dairy products and water, and mostly affects young children, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems.
It’s not just the SoCal kids, though, who were affected by the farm’s raw milk. Six NorCal folks were diagnosed with the sickness in March after drinking raw milk from the same Paicines farm, according to Free Lance, a San Benito County news site. After the state investigated Claravale Farms, they forced the owners to do a mandatory recall, telling everyone to get rid of all Claravale Farms products with the “March 28” expiration date.