Power outage in Egypt, a burning memory from the past

Sun and wind power!


Power outage

The pain was excruciating, the darkness daunting. The combination was too much for an 11-year-old girl. I cannot remember exactly how that night started, but I will always remember how it ended. The nightmare began when I accidentally dropped a pot full of boiling water, severely scalding my upper legs and the lower part of my abdomen. To add insult to injury, a power cut followed that delayed the emergency treatment I required. Although I have never forgotten this incident, Egypt’s current electricity crisis has inadvertently triggered a flashback.

 Later in the hospital, the plastic surgeon rightly pointed out that the neighboring pharmacist who had applied a dressing had made a classical error. The last thing you should do to a scalding burn is to wrap it with a dressing. The surgeon had to unwrap the dressing, which was firmly attached to my swollen and inflamed skin, and peel the…

View original post 819 more words