Chokeholds were prohibited as a restraint tactic by the NYPD in 1993. Nevertheless, several instances of the maneuver have been widely publicized in recent weeks, following the death of Eric Garner, a Staten Island man who perished earlier this month as police restrained him in a chokehold. Garner, who suffered from asthma, repeatedly told cops that he couldn’t breathe as they held him.
According to official Immigration and Customs Enforcement guidelines, pregnant immigrants aren’t supposed to be detained except if they pose a public safety threat. ICE officials have claimed this is such a rare occurrence it’s not even worth asking about.
But an investigation by Fusion found that 559 pregnant women have been detained by ICE in just six facilities since 2012. Unsurprisingly, given the inhumane conditions in many ICE detention centers, activists say pregnant detainees have been underfed and denied medical care, and at least 14 women had miscarriages while locked up.
The Advance reports that the player, Brian Hogan-Gary, 20, “pulled off his jersey to reveal a shirt that had ‘R.I.P Eric Garner’ written on the front. He teed up for the shot, and proceeded to launch himself over the cop car, completely clearing it and slamming home the dunk. Cops blared their lights and sirens on cue from Soto, and the crowd went nuts.”
After nailing the dunk, Hogan-Gary jumps up onto the hood of the cop car as the lights flash and the crowd goes wild and nobody gets put into a fatal chokehold by police. Hogan-Gary won that round of the tournament, while league founder Joe Soto won the Understatement Round, telling the Advance.”The cops were really great and nice about it—it was a little bit surreal.
The civilian casualties in Gaza are disproportionate, with much higher fatalities and wounded among Palestinians, and Israel has violated the immunity of the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) shelters in Gaza. Netanyahu is impatient to continue the project of crushing Hamas, as described by Oren. Israel’s right-wing government is returning to the impulse that led to the “crushing” of the Palestinian people in Lydda in 1948.
(Photo via Reuters)
- N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon arrives in Cairo for Gaza talks with Sisi
- Egypt FM: No change to Egyptian ceasefire proposal
- Assistant US defense secretary arrives in Cairo
- Morsi supporters jailed for 25 years over “illegal protests”
- Family of soldier killed in New Valley attack say body they received was not their son’s
- Palestinian man dies of war injuries in Egypt’s Al-Arish hospital
- Coptic Orthodox Church condemns targeting of Iraqi Christians
- Kerry supports Egypt’s ceasefire, says Hamas has ‘profound’ choice to make
- US, UN stand by Egyptian ceasefire proposal
- Kerry checked by security at the Egyptian presidential palace
- Muslim Brotherhood accuses Arab countries of working hand-in-hand with Israel
- Egypt army reveals details of Al-Wadi Al-Gedid’s deadly attack on soldiers
- 2 tribal leaders killed in North Sinai
- Turkey summons Egypt’s charge d’affaires
- Egypt puts clock forward starting Thursday
View original post 485 more words
‘Time and again, when real cases of voter fraud pop up, the majority of cases are found to be people affiliated with the GOP’.
‘Representative Beefcake has tendered his resignation in the wake of the revelation. It is not yet known if he will not pursue office in Ohio’.
‘Representative Mike Hope of Washington’.
‘This card-carrying member of the GOP registered to vote in Ohio after he decided on relocating to the rust belt back in 2013’.
‘This is just the beginning of the trouble for the man some called ‘Representative Beefcake’ after modeling photographs of him were released last year’.
‘Now that his Ohio registration was discovered, he is facing a series of penalties, including the possibility of having to pay back his salary as a state representative as it is illegal for a person to represent a district they are not registered to vote in’.
‘Due to his…
View original post 25 more words