Based on various studies done by NGOs and the Civil Coalition including Save Beirut Heritage against the Fouad Boutros Project, here’s what this project would cause if implemented*:
- The demolition of around 30 buildings, some of high heritage value.
- The uprooting of about a hundred trees (Many of which are centennial).
- The destruction of around 10,000sqm of green spaces.
- The fragmentation of a pedestrian-friendly neighborhood.
- Further pollution and noise.
- Increase of traffic in some areas and lack of parking space.
The hashtag on Twitter is #StopTheHighway and the Dress Code is Black.
I’ll be uploading pictures later in the day. Please join us.
Second protest is on Sunday the 2nd of March 2014 starting 11:00 at Rmeil area near Maronite Archbishopric of Beirut, in front of Sagesse club.