Living under occupation
“After I was notified that on Nov. 11, 2013, the Palestinian Authority was sponsoring a celebration at Silwan club commemorating Yasser Arafat’s anniversary, without a license or a written permission, I hereby ban the activity in the club or any other location in Jerusalem,” the order read.
Fatah\’s secretary-general in Jerusalem Omar Shalabi denounced the ban and highlighted that Israeli soldiers handed summons to Maamoon Abbasi, Anas Abbasi, Muhammad Abu Swayy and Ghadyan Qemary.
Clashes broke near the club between Israeli forces and young Palestinian men. The Israelis fired stun grenades at the commemorators and as a result a motorcyclist, who was driving nearby, was injured by shrapnel.
via Clashes in Jerusalem after Israeli forces stop Arafat commemoration | Maan News Agency.
Extremists in Northwest Pakistan have been killing those trying to vaccinate children in that area for the last two years. The same in Nigeria – to some fundamentalists – absolutely everything is political – including science – witness tea-baggers in US and UK denying climate change.
Islamist fighters from countries including Pakistan are among groups battling to oust President Bashar al-Assad, leading to speculation that they brought the virus into the country.
via Polio virus strain in Syria confirmed as being from Pakistan: WHO | News , Middle East | THE DAILY STAR.
Living under occupation is like living in an ever evolving Kafka novel – it should not be this way!
A Palestinian family on Monday disassembled and removed their mobile homes in Beit Hanina neighborhood of Jerusalem upon orders by the Israeli municipality, a family member said.
Afif Castero told Ma’an that municipality inspectors arrived Monday morning and took photos of two caravans and a room made of bricks before they ordered his family to remove them immediately.
The inspectors, he explained, told the family the tin houses must be removed before Tuesday morning “otherwise municipality teams will remove them and the family will have to pay the bill.”
The pretext was construction without license.
Castero highlighted that his family moved to live in caravans after Israeli bulldozers demolished the family’s two-story building in February because it was built without license from the municipality.
via Jerusalem family forced to remove caravans on debris of ruined home | Maan News Agency.
Ouch! Extreme protest seems to be the Russian way…
In the Serbian city of Novi Sad, a group of skinheads tried to take away a 2-year-old child from his Roma parents due to the colour of their skin, and accused the child\’s father, Stefan Nikolić, of stealing the boy from his biological parents.
Nikolić, who is a Roma, said he and his wife Jovanka had been out walking with their son, when a man who looked about 25 years old started shouting, \”How did you get that white child, you must have stolen it!\”
\”I was so frightened I didn\’t know what to do, he was pointing at my 2-year-old son Čeda,\” Nikolić told Blic.
via Attacks on Roma spark calls for action in Southeast Europe (SETimes.com).
More than 50 people died from a severe strain of dengue fever in Central America, with more than 4,900 cases of the disease in Nicaragua alone, Food for the Hungry said on Tuesday.
Food for the Hungry, an organization that provides emergency relief and long-term development programs, is mobilizing workers to battle the disease in Nicaragua after the country’s government declared a red alert to contain the epidemic on October 25. FH will send workers to Somotillo, Nueva Segovia and Chinandega to provide medical equipment, insecticide-treated bednets, cleaning materials and fuel for mosquito fumigation.
“The dengue situation is getting worse,” Ervin Laiva, the director of FH in Nicaragua, said. “Hospitals are full. The strain is very, very strong. Adolescents are standing or moving around, and then suddenly go into shock.”
via More than 50 dead from dengue outbreak in Central America | Vaccine News Daily.
The Government estimates that some 4.5 million people have been affected in the Central Philippines. WHO is mobilizing supplies to assist the government in providing a coordinated, effective and rapid response:
An initial shipment of four emergency kits with medicines and supplies to cover basic health needs of 120 000 persons during one month and supplies to perform 400 surgical interventions are being deployed. Four diarrhoeal disease kits with medicines and supplies to treat 3000 cases of acute diarrhoea are also being sent.
WHO is also supporting the Department of Health (DoH) in strengthening its early warning alert and response network (EWARN) to rapidly detect disease outbreaks and other public health threats related to food and environmental hazards.
The Government is receiving international assistance such as field hospitals and medical teams, and WHO is working closely with the Government to ensure those supplies and teams go where they are needed most.
Medical storage spaces have also been damaged, and WHO is working to re-establish logistics bases for new supplies that are arriving.
via Avian Flu Diary: WHO Declares Grade 3 Emergency In The Philippines.
With winds reported at over 145 mph, Typhoon Haiyan has left a trail of devastation across central Philippines. While the extent of damage is still unknown, the death toll is estimated at 10,000 and another 4.3 million people have been affected by the storm.
Organizations are quickly mobilizing to help survivors. Here are a few ways you can support their emergency response:
Donate to support the International Rescue Committee’s emergency response in the Philippines.
Mercy Corps is working with partners on the ground to get emergency supplies and care to survivors. Give today to help their work on the ground.
CARE is delivering food, water, shelter, and other essentials to survivors. Help them reach more survivors with crucial supplies.
The Red Cross has activated its family tracing services, helping families and friends reunite. You can support this work here.
International Medical Corps has been first responder to numerous natural disasters in Southeast Asia, including the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. Support its emergency response teams in the Philippines here.
via How You Can Help: Typhoon Haiyan.
More than 90 tons of ready-to-eat salads and sandwiches by a California catering company are being recalled after 26 people in three states were sickened by a bacterial strain of E. coli linked to its products, federal health officials said Sunday.
Richmond-based Glass Onion Catering are recalling approximately 181,620 pounds of salads and sandwich wraps containing cooked chicken and ham, the USDA\’s Food Safety and Inspection Service said.
The products were produced between Sept. 23 and Nov. 6, and were shipped to distribution centers in California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Texas. The Contra Costa Times reports the company supplies food to Trader Joe\’s, Super Fresh Goods and Delish.
via Calif. Company Recalls 90 Tons of Salads, Sandwiches.